We are looking for a candidate to support the Business Development team in our Toronto office in the areas of strategy, new business/partnership development, and communications. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker who possesses both business acumen and proven knowledge of the international museum and cultural sector in combination with strong writing and interpersonal skills.
The position involves proposal development, content writing, research for leads, network growth, marketing and PR support, with occasional international travel (US and Latin America) and/or evening work. The candidate will work directly with the North American Director and Business Development & Strategy Manager to support implementation of approved strategies. As we champion collaboration, we also expect the ideal candidate to bring their unique vision and skills sets to advance the overall business strategy.
The successful candidate is a self-starter, able to work as part of a team, but also independently, with minimal supervision at times. We work in an open space office, so you should be comfortable and able to operate in this type of setting.
Role and responsibilities
- Coordinate/write responses to Requests for Proposals (RFP)
- Research RFP leads
- Research and/or establish new avenues for leads
- Support new business strategy initiatives
- Develop/maintain client database (CRM). Client follow up
- Support for content development strategies (e.g. text writing for publication)
- Support research on market/industry trends
- Assist on development and/or implementation of brand positioning strategies
- Demonstrated writing skills (see ‘How to Apply’ section)
- Excellent oral communication skills and comfortable with public speaking (e. g. presenting, networking)
- Design sensibility
- Creative and critical thinker
- Business and marketing acumen
- Customer service sensibility
- Interpersonal skills. Ability to connect with people.
- Proactive and can thrive working with minimal supervision at times
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment with interactions both in-person (office) and remotely (UK office and clients)
- Experience in or knowledge of the cultural field and passion for culture and museums
- Background in Humanities, Arts, Design or demonstrated experience in related fields
- Intermediate graphic design software skills, primarily InDesign, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of collaborative and/or cloud-based management tools (e.g. Trello) considered an asset
- Fluency in French or Spanish considered an asset
How to apply
If this sounds like the job opportunity you are looking for and can demonstrate your experience and achievements in this type of role, we look forward to receiving all the following information:
- Cover letter, 1-page max., outlining why you are the ideal candidate for this position
- A writing sample of a published or unpublished text, 1-2 pages max. (e.g. publication, blog post, essay, press release, etc.)
Please package your application as a single PDF file and email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the Job Title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates must be available to attend interviews on the week of January 28th and available for second interview the week of February 4th. The successful candidate should be able to start March 1st.
hsd is an equal opportunity employer. If selected for an interview, please advise our team if you require accommodation during the interview and assessment process.
Thank you for your interest!